Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm back, no...really

So I'm starting this back up because i need SOMEWHERE to vent.

This year is going to be a doozy. We have a fresh crop of very flip mouthed, bass-ass, little darlings. These things seem to run on a three year cycle. Every three years we get a disproportionate numbers of little shits. Don't get me wrong, I do well with little shits, in fact you might say I love getting them because it's a challenge to turn them around BUT one can only take on so many challenges at once before they burn out. In particular we've got problems since two of our teams teachers aren't the best classroom managers and the brand new teacher has a borderline safety issue in his room. Someone is going to get hurt and I'm not kidding...

We've offered help, advice, etc. but new guy already seems to think he knows it all. In fact his statement was "this is going to be easy, I was a human resources manager". Welcome to my world. Adults who want to keep their jobs are far different from children who would much rather be doing childreny things, making out, or playing with tech decks than listen to someone drone on about whatever it is their droning about. The trick is you got to make them want it, especially with kids whoa re pains in the asses. You have to make them eager to step into your room to see what's gonna happen next. The second component is to carry yourself with complete and utter confidence. They need to think no matter what happens you'll know what to do next, and they might not like what you have in store for them if they make you go there...even when you have no fucking idea what's going on and what to do about it. Think fast, act fast, and act like you had the plan all along. It's a hard thing to teach someone else how to do, but all our successful teachers just seem to have it.

...anyway where I'm going with this is that myself and some other seasoned folk are having to deal with hallways gone wild cause this guy cannot contain children in his room. And whatever it is he says to them leaves them so crazy it takes us double effort to calm them down and get their heads strait, so we're feeling like we're managing two classes at once. Administration knows about this yet they still leave us to deal with the mess...and if I don't deal with it and leave it be, there are children screaming and screeching outside my door so it's near impossible to focus on what we're trying to do anyway. Last period the kids in his room literally start chanting screaming, throwing stuff to a degree I have rarely seen. We go in and calm them down but as soon as we step foot out of the room, it's a free for all.

So that's where we're at this year, wish me the best, because I feel like I'm working WAY too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment