Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Worst group ever

This year I have The Worst Class Ever (TM). They really suck. BAD. They are the kind of bunch that really make me rethink teaching in the city and cause a lot of burnout. They are the smuggest, most entitled, least mannered bunch of children I have ever had in one room together.

They don't want you to teach them, they want you to fight and argue with them and it takes every ounce of energy I have not to engage. Today my skin was crawling the entire 90 minutes I had with them. I have excellent classroom management, so does the social studies teacher and english teacher, but NONE of us can do anything with this bunch.

What's sad is there are around 11 of them who are total assholes, but the leaves 14 who are really all right and they are constantly being robbed of the education they are trying to get by these other knuckleheads who have absolutely no regard for the value of education, the concept of respect, or the concept of needing to put in effort to get something in return.

It is at a point where we are going to try to have an auditorium style meeting with the parents of the children in that group because no one can work with them and we need help from outside, but I'm guessing that the lack of outside support is why the 11 are the way they are.

Did I also happen to mention that this year they tiered the groups by standardized test scores. Guess which group this is?

No, they aren't the honors kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment